Friday, August 8, 2014

Vittorioe Emanuele's response to Germany

August 8, 1914

King Vittorio Emanuele of Italy has replied to the "insistence of the representatives of Germany and Austria-Hungary," who continue to augment their offers to obtain Italy's "active cooperation" in their fight against the Triple Entente, reports the Associated Press.

The Italian sovereign responded: "Neither friendship for my allies nor offers made by them, no matter how advantageous, would persuade me to sell my honor and that of my country."

Queen Elena and her children have returned to the Quirinal in Rome to be with the King during the "present grave situation."

"My place in case of danger is beside my husband."  

She was accompanied by her three children and her sister-in-law, Princess Natalie of Montenegro.

No comments: