Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Princess Alexandra of Luxembourg is 20 today.

Photo ©Cour Grand-Ducale/Christian Aschman
I am getting old.  I remember clipping news reports of her birth.   Princess Alexandra Josésphine Teresa Charlotte Marie Wilhelmine is one of five children, and the only daughter of Grand Duke Henri and Grand Duchess Maria Teresa of Luxembourg.    She is a graduate of the Lycée Vauban in Luxembourg.  She is a freshman at Franciscan University in Steubenville, Ohio, where she is studying  history, philosophy and literature.   She is also a member of the school's tennis team.

http://www.franciscanathletics.com/sports/wten/2010-11/bios/de_Luxembourg_Alexandra


Alexandra is not the first member of the Luxembourg Grand Ducal family to attend college in the United States. Her brother, Louis, and his family are living in the Melbourne, Florida, area, where he attends the Florida Institute of Technology.

 Her uncle, Prince Guillaume, graduated from Georgetown University in Washington, D.C., in 1987.

As Luxembourg's succession law remains Semi-salic, Alexandra can only inherit the throne after all the eligible males. There have been discussions to change the law to allow for the succession of the first born child, but no legislation has been promulgated by Luxembourg's parliament.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I wonder how she ended up at Stubenville. It is a VERY small town near where I grew up. I bet the students around here are awe-struck if they know she is a princess

Anonymous said...

I am about an hour from there and meet up with friends in the area about once a month, now I will feel the need to look out for her when dining or shopping in the area.

Unknown said...

I'm a student at Franciscan University of Steubenville, and the college is literally known around the world for it's high quality Catholic education, so that would be my guess as to why she's there. I don't remember ever seeing her or having her pointed out to me, though most everyone knows that she's there. I'm sure no one treats her any differently because I feel like I would have recognized it. I'm sure I've seen her or maybe even interacted with her since campus is so small, but I didn't know what she looked like until recently.